Alright, let's see what I can say about this piece... I've had this fanfiction project about the x-men for a long while, now. I've been growing more and more frustrated by the choices Marvel comics made with this whole line of titles ( as in pushing ridiculous characters down our throats and stomping on the ones we loved, oh and putting Wolverine in EVERY FREAKING MARVEL TITLE! I don't dislike the character, even in the movies, but, come on! Enough is enough) I'll stop the rant before it gets too long.
Anyway, I wanted a story that would focus on the team and more centered around Jean Grey and Cyclops. Yes, I'm a Jott fan, sue me.
I liked Cyclops and the White Queen as a couple under Whedon's pen, but that's it.
So... this one is the 'cover' for the first arc of the planned fic. It revolves around Xavier gathering his students, the x-men becoming a team, and facing Magneto and the Sentinels as main antagonists.
I draw inspiration from the movies (Singer-directed, of course), old comics ( as in 90's and before), the Ultimate x-men first arcs and some elements from x-men evolution, the only animated version of the team worth mentioning for me.
As for the composition of the picture, I used poses and references from a few sources:
- Magneto is based on Jeremy Irons that I would have seen as him
- Professor X is based on a pose by Patrick Stewart. I love McAvoy's Xavier but Stewart was the perfect pick.
- Storm is based off a picture by Daniel Barajas : pre10.deviantart.net/ec02/th/p…
- Cyclops and Colossus have been drawn from reference pictures by Adi Granov who did awesome cover art for the x-men recently.
- Wolverine was painted and drawn from a photo of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He did pull the look off.
- the sentinel at the fore ground is my design
- finally, is drawn and painted from this picture of Mike Mayhew: pre13.deviantart.net/f0d3/th/p…
There you have it. I hope you’ll like it.